Subject: Social Climate Fund -- Recommendations for Member States
From: "Nuria Meerschaert" <[email-masked]>
To: "RAM Info"
Cc: "Pedro Homem de Gouveia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 17:21:21 +0200

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Mr. Jürgen Ligi
Minister
Ministry of Finance

Dear Sir,

The Emissions Trading System 2 (ETS2) is one of the most important
measures taken by the European Union to decarbonise Road Transport. We
must prepare for its implementation. By capping CO2 emissions, the ETS2
will raise the price of fossil fuels. This rise will impact households and
micro-enterprises whose everyday mobility patterns require the consumption
of large amounts of fossil fuels. They need proper transport alternatives
to be ready and rolling when the ETS2 becomes fully operational in 2027.

The absence of those alternatives would have serious economic, social, and
political impacts, particularly for those in a situation of Transport
Poverty. We must prepare those alternatives now, with the Social Climate
Fund (SCF). How can we best use it? Transport Poverty is a regional
problem, and the SCF must create lasting results at that level. This
requires a collaborative approach, with active involvement of local and
regional governments and transport authorities.

POLIS is the leading network of EU cities and regions advancing transport
innovation. To support the work of all EU Member States, which are
preparing the national level Social Climate Plans, we prepared a set of
Recommendations for Member States, based on leading research and extensive
field experience from our members. We’re honoured to share these
recommendations with your Government in the attached document.

We remain fully available to discuss this issue further and to provide any
additional support you may find useful.

Respectfully yours,

Karen Vancluysen

Secretary General, POLIS

**********

Pedro Homem de Gouveia

Senior Policy Advisor

Cluster Leader Governance & Integration

Cluster Leader Safety & Security

(he/him)

Cell + 32 (0) 472 02 12 49

 <https://www.polisnetwork.eu/2025-annual-polis-conference/>

POLIS | Cities and Regions for transport innovation |
https://www.polisnetwork.eu/ | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/polis-network/>  -
<https://www.instagram.com/polis.network/> Instagram - Bluesky
<https://bsky.app/profile/polisnetwork.eu>